Depends what you mean by “easier.”

So in the course of working on my thesis chapter about the Warner House bedspread project (which Ravelry calls the “Penhallow” bedspread, if you go looking for it), I realized that I could add some information if, like the Plimoth jacket, I had actually done some of the work on it. The project itself happened 15 years ago, but Piecework/Knitting Traditions published the pattern, and whee, I need something to do with my hands before my thesis eats my brain. I didn’t exactly swear off knitting for the duration, but I’m acutely aware that whenever I do something that is not working on my thesis (like writing blog posts, sleeping, raising my sons, having lunch, driving places, showering, doing laundry, etc.), I’m stealing time that I should be working on my thesis. But if I knit a square for the Penhallow bedspread and time myself, I will have data for my chapter. Yes.

When assembled, it doesn't look nearly this...codpiecey.

I obtained some Coats #10 crochet thread (my, that’s fine) and a set of 0/2mm Kollage square aluminum single-points. I was swayed by Kollage’s claim that square needles are more ergonomic and hence “easier on the hands” than round needles, and as I am a tight knitter, figured I’d give that a try. I do end up clenching my needles in my fists more often than I ought, especially if they’re small and the stitches want to pop off. That is no less of a problem with these, incidentally. And my hands don’t feel noticeably better after knitting with the ergo needles than with regular ones. The square shape does make it easier to pick up my tight stitches, though. I don’t really mean to make them too tight. I don’t yank the working yarn to snug each stitch. I just don’t like when the yarn is all over the place and trying to make a break for it. At any rate, with thread this fine, it’s hard to argue for knitting any more loosely than one must. The thing would have zero structural integrity–and this is a bedspread we’re talking about.

I worked for just over an hour, and got half of one square done–about 35 rows out of 68. If I were feeling lazy, I could extrapolate that the 1024 squares would take knitters of my ability about 2048 hours to knit, but I want to be precise, since the second half of the square is just alternating bands of stockinette and reverse stockinette and will probably knit faster. Besides, a scan of the block would look nice in my chapter, and I can use the photo without clearance.

It’s been a long time since I used single-points. It feels a little weird. I suppose now I’ll have these in my collection and my great-grandchildren can look at them in all their 2mm glory and think about how people back then had more time to do insane things like knit anything that fine. If I actually made the whole bedspread, which is not likely, I could blow their minds.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s